Logo

A couple of 57's, need to replace impellers 18hp Johnson and 10hp Evinrude

Goober

After being out of the outboard scene for 40 some years I scored two beautiful 57's a 18 Johnson and 10 Evinrude,75 per with two tanks,thank you Craigs list, I think.So anyway I am going over them. I am hung up on seperating the lower unit from the driveshaft on the 18. I removed the 5 bolts and it dropped a inch or so. Opened up the upper access plate and saw the two allen head bolts,which I loosen'd but the lower unit did not want to come free.So I need guidance in how to remove that bad boy. I would think the 10 would come apart the same way.
Goobs says hey

Re: A couple of 57's, need to replace impellers

18hp: That side plate on the long exhaust housing is the access plate to the shift rod connector. Remove only one to release the shift rod.

10hp: If there is no shift rod connector access plate, the powerhead will need to be removed in order to disconnect the shift rod.

Both of these will be the same !!----------Remove one of the bolts completely to disconnect the shift rod.

Best one to remove is the bottom as you can hold the adapter down when reinstalling the shift rod easier than trying to hold the upper shift rod itself.

Thanks guys , inspection revealed impeller was like new.Had to play with the two couplers to get it to fully engage in reverse.
Goobs says hey

No playing with the couplers !------------The notches line up and the bolts go in.-----------------The adjustment is up top, at the shift handle.

Will not have time untill this weekend to double check position of shift rod in relation to groove in it. Any idea of torque specs on the 5 bolts that hold unit together and the coupler bolts ?. I would guess the 7/16 would be about 25-30ft.lbs and 3/16 hex 20ft lbs?
Thanks
Goobs says hey

They don't call me Goober for nothing. I was referring to the head size of the bolts not the actuall thread size,thats why I wrote 3/16ths hex. Yes 1 of 5 is a 9/16th head not 7/16 as I mentioned. Sometimes the torque is in relation to the size of the fastner head. Anyway any idea on the actuall torque for these different size bolts?
Goobs says hey

The 1/4" bolts are torked to 80 INCH POUNDS maximum---------------The large 3/8" bolt is torqued to 220 INCH POUNDS-----------The hex head bolts are not original, I hope they are stainless.

Thanks,that is not a lot of in.lbs for a unit that is constantly under a very small harmonic/vibration mode but I will do that with a small amont of blue loctite for piece of mind.. Good call on the internal hex bolts, they are a royal pain to remove if you slightly strip them which happens a lot, even with the correct size allen.SS hex head will be installed.

Back