Logo

!996 40 horse Johnson is a son of a ***** to start when cold or sitting.

spudknuckle

New member
I have a 1996 40horse Johnson I purchased along with boat a year ago and it is very hard to get it to start if it's been sitting or gets cooled down.Wants it start's and get's warmed up you can shut it off and it will start back up easily as long as it's still warm.I installed an in-line electric fuel pump thinking that might help but it didn't.Don't know if it's timing,Electrical or fuel issue.Any ideas.Duck season just started and I need to figure it out now.





  • :confused:

 
Is this engine new to you and has acted this way since day one, OR have you owned it for some time (worked fine) and now this problem just started?
 
A motor like that should start right up if in good condition and with the correct starting procedure.----So if you outline your starting procedure maybe help can be given.---Are you raising the throttle only lever ? -Are you pushing the key in while cranking ??----Have you listened for a click when key is ON and PUSHED in ?
 
A motor like that should start right up if in good condition and with the correct starting procedure.----So if you outline your starting procedure maybe help can be given.---Are you raising the throttle only lever ? -Are you pushing the key in while cranking ??----Have you listened for a click when key is ON and PUSHED in ?

I just purchased the Boat,Motor and trailer from a fellow before this past summer who would not sell it to me unless the marina checked it out first and they said it ran fine.But ever since I purchased it from him it's been a pain in the a** to start.I can raise the throttle lever half way or all the way or not at all and it's still a pain to start I have pushed the key in while cranking and even pumped the key in and out real fast while cranking and still hard to start.Once it try's to start if I push the key in like I'm trying to prime it it starts to sputter and pick's it self up but that take's awhile.
 
Proper start procedure:

Pump fuel primer bulb up until it is hard.

If that engine incorporates the "Fast Start" feature... leave the throttle at idle, turn the key to the start position, turn the key to the START position and push the key in and hold it there to engage the fuel primer solenoid... when the engine starts, release the key to the RUN position.

If the engine DOES NOT incorporate the "Fast Start" feature... same as above EXCEPT take the throttle off of the idle setting first. Advance the throttle slightly without putting the engine into gear.
 
Take cover off the motor.--------Turn key to ON.--------------Push key IN.----------Do you then hear a click from the electric primer solenoid ??
 
The electric primer is a valve.-----------When you push the key in it opens up to spray fuel into the engine when cranking.---------The red lever can be put in the manual position to open it up, you then operate the primer bulb on the hose.----Return red lever to it's run position and crank motor over.--------Has a compression test been done on this motor ?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top