Logo

99 Tohatsu M70B Impeller changed but no water from water tube

lakeinit

I changed my impeller, gaskets, plate, and metal cup (sorry, don't know the terminology for the metal cup) on my 99 Tohatsu M70B. When putting the impeller back in I made sure the splines were turned in the right direction. I then secured everything back. I put the motor back in the water and turned it on. No water was coming out of the pee tube. I then took the cover off and removed the pee tube hose. There it was clear and nothing was blocking it. I reinstalled the tube and turned the motor back on for about a minute and still no water coming out of the pee tube. I let it cool down and then turned it back on for about 2 minutes and still nothing. I was concerned so I turned it off. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to let the motor run longer for the water to come out? I am afraid I am going to burn up the new impeller I just put in.

Was it working OK before you serviced the water pump?
If the impeller is submerged, it isn't going to burn up.
There is no need to flip the vanes of the impeller; they will run in the proper direction when the drive shaft turns.
You should get water in a few seconds -- almost instantly.
Did you forget the impeller drive key?
Are the water pump and water pipe joined correctly?
Using a stiff wire, you can ream the nipple where the pee tube joins the engine to see if there is any salt/debris in there.

Was it working OK before you serviced the water pump?
If the impeller is submerged, it isn't going to burn up.
There is no need to flip the vanes of the impeller; they will run in the proper direction when the drive shaft turns.
You should get water in a few seconds -- almost instantly.
Did you forget the impeller drive key?
Are the water pump and water pipe joined correctly?
Using a stiff wire, you can ream the nipple where the pee tube joins the engine to see if there is any salt/debris in there.

I was working before I serviced it but the stream seemed a little weak.

I did make sure the key went back in when I put the impeller on.

I will try reaming the nipple where the pee tube joins the engine. I did not do that.

Water pump and water pipe joined correctly - (sorry for my ignorance I am a newbie) I think I did. I just slipped the rubber hose over the nipple that joins the engine. The same one I took it off of thinking there might be something in the tube. If I have done this wrong please let me know.

Also, when I took the old impeller out it looked really good. There was no spline memory or cracks at all. All in one piece as well.

Thanks Paul for the input.

Last edited:
Since it was peeing before, but isn't peeing now, either the pee tube is clogged, or you aren't pumping. If the pee tube nipple is clear, re-check that the water pipe is inserted in the grommet of the water pump housing.

Since it was peeing before, but isn't peeing now, either the pee tube is clogged, or you aren't pumping. If the pee tube nipple is clear, re-check that the water pipe is inserted in the grommet of the water pump housing.

UPDATE: I went back and took some wire and cleaned the nipple out where it joins the engine. I was able to knock some heavy stuff out. I hooked the hose back up to the nipple. I put the motor back in the water and started it up. Still nothing, but there is exhausted coming out of the pee hole with a steady stream whenever it is running. I haven't had a chance to take the LU off again to make sure the pipes were joined properly.

Any insight with the current update?

Clay

You are not pumping. It's possible the water pipe is not connected to the grommet at the pump, or something could be jammed in the water pipe.

Update: FIXED. Thank you for the help Paul. This last weekend I took the lower unit off again. I looked up in the Upper Unit casing and there was a waterspout I didn't line up with the rubber grommet it was suppose to go in. I made sure that hit the rubber grommet putting it back in and bingo it started working again.

ONE OTHER QUESTION: The first time I pulled the lower unit and changed the impeller I changed the lower unit lube immediately after that. Since I pulled the lower unit out again do I need to change the lower unit lube again?

Thanks for the help.

Clay

Back