Logo

99 stingray 5.7 wont fire

Michael Rose

This is my first boat with an inboard, it is a 99 stingray with a 5.7. It has been in storage for a couple years, would really like to get it going and have a bit of fun with the family.
I can't get it to start, It seems to not have any spark. I know it had a bad coil, replaced it and now have power to the coil.
pulled a couple of the plugs and grounded them against the engine mounts had no spark.
Does it need to have water? is there a safety switch like a low oil cut off in generators?

what would be the next step?

thanks in advance
Mike.

Don't try to start it w/o water to the LU...use muffs. What is the engine SN? Pull the dist. cap off and inspect the components. There is an optic sensor under the rotor. If it is the old style they are prone to corrosion of nearly bare wires on the bottom of it. Where is the ignition module located...on the port exhaust manifold or the side of the dist? It's either a TB IV or TB V ignition. I have test procedures for the TB IV. You should change the impeller since it sat a few years.

Don't try to start it w/o water to the LU...use muffs. What is the engine SN? Pull the dist. cap off and inspect the components. There is an optic sensor under the rotor. If it is the old style they are prone to corrosion of nearly bare wires on the bottom of it. Where is the ignition module located...on the port exhaust manifold or the side of the dist? It's either a TB IV or TB V ignition. I have test procedures for the TB IV. You should change the impeller since it sat a few years.

SN is 0L340503. The inside of the distributor looks ok. The module is on the port side.
I'm leaning towards it being a problem with the module.
Question.... would a bad module also shut down the fuel injection? It doesn't seem to be injecting any fuel, nor is there any spark at the spark plugs.

Tests forThunderbolt IV Ignition:
W/ignition key on AND BILGE WELL VENTILATED OF GAS FUMES!!!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to thewhite/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts is present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributorand connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green leadfrom the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/greenlead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if youget spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and checkit again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensorinside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignitionamplifier is shot and must be replaced

If there's no fuel from the injectors and no spark, I'd be inclined to check the fuses and the relays as I'd expect the 12VDC is lost somewhere...

As far as the distributor goes, judging from the linked wiring diagram, it is the delco EST type...if its pickup coil is bad, the distributor will need to be pulled to change that coil...

I thank you for the help, I'm going to put this project on hold for a few days do to the tragic death of a dear friends son.
I will pick this back up next week sometime.

thank you again.
Mike

ok it has been a trying week. Here is where I'm at with this thing.
It is a tb-v with the ecm.
on the top of the engine next to the circuit breaker is a solenoid I have power to it, but can get no power out of it.
could this be my issue?

on the top of the engine next to the circuit breaker is a solenoid
That is the slave solenoid...operated by the keyswitch to turn on the starter.

You need troubleshooting procedures for TB V ignition.

Back