Logo

98 Johnson 115 hp, 2 cycle Using excessive oil

wvemp27

I bought a 1999 Crest 22' pontoon last fall with this engine on it. Dealer said both carbs had been rebuilt, water pump, plugs, etc. replaced and engine fluids replaced, along with new battery. Has been always a little hard to start and keep running sometimes. Left approx. 15 gals of fuel in tank over winter, after adding stabilizer (didn't run engine after adding). This Spring has gotten worse at starting and this past weekend, used 3 qts of oil over 30 gals of gas. Local dealer says it's got some blockage in fuel system, or oil pump is going bad. Running some "Sea Foam" thru it now, but would like to hear from others on this issue. Is the excessive oil consumption causing the hard starting by fouling the plugs?
Wayne

Is this a cross flow engine or a looper, I am guessing crossflow due to 2 carburetors mentioned ??--------------Model # required here.----------------Start with a compression test.--------Check for strong spark on each cylinder too.

Model #JHSTSLE
THIS IS MY FIRST OUTBOARD, SO NOT FAMILIAR WITH CROSS FLOW VS. LOOPER
DEALER SHOWED ME SERVICE TICKET THAT SHOWED I SEEM TO RECALL COMPRESSION READINGS BETWEEN 110-120 LBS., I ASSUME THOSE WERE GOOD READINGS. WILL CHECK THEM AGAIN, THANKS.
IT DOES SEEM TO RUN FINE ON WATER, PULLED SEVERAL SKIERS AND TUBES THIS WEEKEND!

What procedure are you using to start it ??---------One of these motors in good condition starts almost instantly.

Shift in neutral, push in key while turning over. Have had to resort to shifting into fast idle, when RPM's get to approx. 800, then back to neutral after warming up, then immediately into forward or reverse.
Thinking about disconnecting VRO and installing regular fuel pump, using pre-mix? Does prior compression readings seems reasonable? Thanks,
Wayne

Back