Logo

98 Fast Strike 115 troubles again

Bjsmith919

Regular Contributor
Fished yesterday evening until a storm run me off the lake, come back to the hill in pouring rain but engine ran fine. Topped it off with gas this morning, took about a quarter tank to fill it up and headed to lake. Got out the no wake zone and when i let it loose it would only rev to 3.5-4 grand and it would dog out. Let off the gas and let it idle for a few seconds and tried again, took off and run fine for a couple hundred yards and it did it again. Made it to my fishing spot idling and fished for about a hour but couldn't stop thinking about whats wrong with my motor. Cranked up to head back to hill and it did it one more time but after letting it idle a few more seconds it run fine back to the hill. Think i have trash in a carb or is there something more serious going on. This is the first time its done this. I keep it full of non ethanol gas, never been below a half tank since I've had it. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 98 Johnson fast strike j115glecm

Normally, if a carburetor goes bad, it stays that way... exceptions are few and far between.

If you have someone pump the fuel primer bulb constantly, acting as a manual fuel pump, and this problem ceases to be, suspect a fuel pump problem.

Thank you, will try this afternoon. Does it make a difference that it only does it under load? In neutral it'll rev no problem.

Revving in neutral means nothing. You could disconnect 2 spark plugs and make it rev in neutral although I don't recommend doing it.

Ok, once again the weather here in South Carolina is not going to cooperate with me and let me get on the lake but before the bottom fell out i went outside and noticed my primer bulb is still hard as a rock. Usually after a few hours of fishing i have to pump it back up but not now. Does this mean anything?

If after sitting in your favorite fishing spot for a couple hours, you need to pump that fuel primer bulb back up, that may indicate that the fuel is siphoning back into the tank. In which case, that would in turn indicate that the anti siphon valve is tuck open or missing altogether..... Read on......................

(Fuel Anti Siphon Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Many of the later OMC V/6 engines incorporate a fuel restriction warning via a vacuum device attached to the powerhead. If the engine overheats, or if you have a fuel restriction, the warning is the same.... a steady constant beep.

NOTE... Only the V/6 & V/8 engines have the above "Fuel Restriction Warning". The warning horn will not sound on the other models.

The fact that a engine is not overheating, but the warning horn sounds off with a constant steady beep, and that the rpms drop drastically would indicate that the engine is starving for fuel due to a fuel restriction. Check the built in fuel tank where the rubber fuel line attaches to the tank fitting. That fitting is in all probability a "Anti Siphon" valve which is notorious for sticking in a semi closed position. It will be aluminum, about 2" long, and the insides of it will consist of a spring, a ball, and a ball seat. If this valve exists, remove it, knock out those inner components which will convert it to a straight through fitting, then re-install it. Hopefully that cures the problem.

The above procedure will cure a restriction problem with the anti siphon valve as stated. BUT, it may also allow fuel to drain backwards to the fuel tank when the engine is not running (siphoning backwards) due to the fact that the carburetors/fuel pump etc are higher than the fuel tank. This condition is not an absolute as the valves in the fuel primer bulb usually prevent this backwards siphoning problem. However.... if this does take place, the cure would be to install a new anti siphon valve.

NOTE: There has been cases when the output valve in the fuel primer bulb would come apart, and the inner portion of the valve would actually reverse itself and be drawn back into the primer bulb's output valve body. This in effect would create a shut off valve and result in a fuel restriction. If this is the case, you should be able to feel something laying in the bottom of the primer bulb when held horizontally.

The boat is going to work with me in the morning and im going to check out that anti siphon pqrt on the gas tank, if its there. Will update in the am. Thanks Mr Reeves

Replaced the bulb just to be safe and after looking as best as i could it seems the anti siphon valve on the tank has already been removed. Not sure why they made it so tough to get to the gas tank in older model Tritons. Gonna take it out later today and see what we have. Thanks for the responses so far

Replaced the bulb just to be safe and after looking as best as i could it seems the anti siphon valve on the tank has already been removed. Not sure why they made it so tough to get to the gas tank in older model Tritons. Gonna take it out later today and see what we have. Thanks for the responses so far

If the anti siphon valve has been removed.... replace it in order to stop fuel from the engine draining back into the fuel tank when the engine is not running.

Back