Logo

'96 Johnson 90hp started after sit 6 mths. ran smooth 1 minute at 900rpm then died now no spark

mikeonisland

I am a virgin to the forum (first time posting) so please be gentle. My 90hp Johnson (1996) v4 sat for 6 months. Installed a new battery and the motor turned over good but wouldn't start. I pulled the wires from the plugs and the coils and cleaned minor corrosion. Replaced the wires and the motor started and ran for about 1 minute at 900rpm then just died. Now, no spark. Any suggestions??

unplug the main harness ,96 could have 1 of 2 types offered, from the engine big red and round or several small square either way you want to disconnect engine harness from boat spin motor with remote starter switch ,or hevy gauge wire , jump from large red wire comming from batt to solinoid to small yellow wire with red tracer on solinoid buy doing this you have elimated the kill circuit in the boat ie.stop lanyard key switch rember magnito engines do not require 12 volts from key switch for ign key switch shorts to ground shut down. need more info on modle of engine to go further

Forget to tell make sure the motor is in neutral prop spins freely before you remote start. make sure plug wires are off all cylenders while turning over check for ign. Does your motor have 2 carberators or 4 this will help with motor ID.

Back