Logo

96 Johnson 130 low idle problem

geaux_fishin

"I just put new carb kits on m

"I just put new carb kits on my 96 Johnson 130 and engine starts fine and runs fine. I also decarbed the engine recently and changed plugs afterward. Problem is that I took it out yesterday and while at low idle, engine died occasionally. It started right back up, but after a few minutes it would die again. It only happens at low idle. I run Marine Stabil in the tank, so I don't think it's a fuel quality issue. Any ideas on possible causes and solutions?"

"I'll have to check compre

"I'll have to check compression, but last time I checked it, which was about a year ago, all 4 cylinders were 135. Engine runs great all the way through WOT at about 5500 rpm. Boat speed tops out at about 43 mph, like it always has. Engine idles at @700-750 rpms in gear."

"Have someone pump the fuel pr

"Have someone pump the fuel primer bulb at idle, acting as a manual fuel pump to see if that causes the problem to cease.

Does the engine have a tendency to spit back, sounding like a mild backfire? That would indicate a lean running engine..... fouled carburetor, weak pump, something of that nature."

"Joe,

Forgot to mention ini

"Joe,

Forgot to mention initially that priming the bulb helped and engine didn't die. There's no spitting or backfiring occuring."

You either have a fuel/air lea

You either have a fuel/air leak at some point between the fuel pump and the fuel supply OR the pump is starting to fail.

Back