Logo

96 4.3L Do I need to remove motor to replace gimbal housing

Dietrich

The Gimbal ring on my 4.3L Mercruiser is broken (someone hit a submerged log with the boat) and so I need to replace it. I bought a complete gimbal housing unit off of ebay. I could either try to remove the gimbal ring from it, or just replace the whole gimbal housing onto the boat. Thoughts/suggestions to what is easier? I don't really want to go through all the work of cutting the hole into the sterndrive in order to gain access to the steering post. I'm leaning toward just removing the whole motor and replacing the gimbal housing altogether. Thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Not 100% on what you are calling the gimbal housing, but if it is what it is....

Yes,

Get a Mercruiser manual first!!

Remove outdrive, Remove engine, disconnect steering pin from steering arm to transom, Remove bolts that connect inner and out transom assemblies together, Remove outer transom assembly and do the work on a bench.

Replace what is needed and reassemble.

Done this many times..

I'm leaning toward just removing the whole motor and replacing the gimbal housing altogether.

Ayuh,..... That's how I do it,.... Boat motors usually come out, 'n go back in fairly quickly, 'n easily,.....

In the shop, I use the over-head crane,.....
In the yard, I use a backhoe, 'n come-a-long,....

Thanks or the great replies! Kghost, I was referring to what you call the "out transom assembly" I believe. My 2nd question is how to pull the motor- I can get an engine lift but I highly doubt its tall enough. Bondo addressed this a bit but I was hoping to avoid getting the crane/gantry or backhoe. When I pull it, is there any concern with parts falling out of the transom assembly? I've heard something about washer's etc. down in there somewhere. And the motor drive shaft should just slide out toward the bow right?

For the engine removal: fuel, wiring, exhaust??, and then the 4 motor mount bolts then just slide it out? I assume I should disconnect the exhaust near the header where it goes through the rubber part of the exhaust system?

Do I need to get an alignment tool for when I install the motor again?

I have a repair manual but its just the "Mercury Service manual #14" and its seems pretty generic though also like 100 some page. Any other thoughts on what repair manual to use?

Thanks for the help!

I understand your questions very well,
I am not going to type a step by step process.

Maybe someone else will.

You asked the right questions so you have an idea on what to do.

You will figure it out.

Yes alignment tool is a must for re-alignment.
You will need a special tool for the hinge pins on the Gimbal ring........12 point Male tool.

If you have a Gen II Alpha then manual 14 is correct.

Most of the transom assembly R & R is fairly easy to figure out.

It is certain set ups on the Gimbal ring that need attention and are specified in the manual

You wont loose anything. CAREFUL NOTE should be taken of the rear engine mounts (inner transom) there is a small stack of components (washers and springs) on there order they are in and that they go back in if they fall out , the correct way.

If you have questions along the way just ask.
Post pics if you can

Back