Logo

95 force 90hp runs…..barely

Tatoman

Good evening all,

First time posting, I’m at my wits end with this one.

Got a decent deal on this 95 force 90hp a coupe of weeks ago thinking I could get it running like the several other engines I’ve had the last couple years. Little did I know this one would give me a run for my money. Info below with some of the steps taken.

Brought home after compression check (130psi on all 3) and hooked to battery and fuel. Found wiring diagram and wired in an ignition to start it on the stand. Engine turned over and fired up every 2-3 try’s on cranking it. After several attempts and some extremely loud backfires out the exhaust I decided to clean the carbs up. Torn all 3 down soaked in diesel for 3 days, cleaned up with compressed air and carb cleaner. A couple ports were clogged but now are free. (Side note, never seen a carb with 3 external ports for the jetting). New float needles and reassembled. Reset AF screw to 1 turn and the thing didn’t even try to fire. Back out until it would fire up at 3 turns out and played with the adjustment with no improvement back down to 1 turn. Checked spark, jusm

Hello all

First time post, not a marine mechanic but I am a diesel mechanic so I’m looking for guidance.

Got a 95 force 90hp a couple of weeks ago for cheap. After compression checking (130 across the board) I brought it home and thought I would have it running in no time like the several I’ve played with before…..I was wrong. Nothing like getting humbled by a 30year old motor lol.

The motor will turn over, hit and run for 2-3 seconds and die. Every couple of starting attempts it will backfire and damn near blow your ear drums out. I have rebuilt the carbs (never seen a carb with 3 holes to the atmosphere), checks spark (jumps a half in gap great), checked reeds (less than 5 thousands gap), beat my head against the wall, and confirmed timing TDC on 1 is at 0* timing mark on flywheel.

I’m at a loss and am confused if I’m having a fuel issue, timing issue or a combination of both. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am about to dump it on Facebook and move on lol.

I’ll check it out. I just took another look at the flywheel and I must’ve missed it while I was pissed off checking timing but there are not any markings on the flywheel for timing. The 0* I though it was at is a hand etched line that is most definitely not factory. Is there a way to tell timing off the flywheel with this motor?

The timing marks I do see are indents in the flywheel, they just have no numbers or letterings. There are 2 vertical lines about 3 inches apart.

The backfire could be the port covers sucking air?? Even new and 1 tiny cough, stutter or backfire can blow the gaskets.
Replacing the gaskets: Use a GOOD sealer, sillycone is good and let them set/cure for 48 hours.

Staring fluid test: start motor and spray SF around the intake side, under the packs and under the bottom carb, anywhere the air/fuel might have an air leak. If the spray makes it run ANY different?? fix the air leak.

Had 2 of the 3 port covers sucking air. Replaced them all(3) and the one under the fuel pump promptly squeezed out at the bottom and started sucking air.

Thank you for the tip, I’ll do some checking tonight. I know there is a barbed fitting at the bottom of the intake manifold that would have been some kind of vacuum line that doesn’t have anything hooked up at the moment. It’s pretty small so I didn’t think it would make a difference but I’ll plug it and give it another go.

Update! I plugged the hole in the intake and undid the linkage for timing and played with it. It runs! It runs like hammered dog sh*t but it runs. There has to be some timing issues because it idles and kicks every couple of seconds sometimes kicks hard enough it for it to stop itself in its tracks. Does anyone have the timing procedure for this one?

Flywheel key and flywheel are good, trigger is original so that may be a contributing factor but I’m thinking the previous owner may have the timing set incorrectly causing the backfire. When advancing the timing by hand at idle it smooths out and acts right.

Back