Logo

'95 90 hp Merc Shift Question

Sleepwalker

Contributing Member
I just picked up a '95 90 hp Merc ELPTO. In the most recent repair work the previous owner indicated a clicking noise in neutral. The work order states that there is no more adjustment left on the shift cable. I know cables are not supposed to stretch so does it mean something else is worn or out of adjustment in the drive? Or maybe just a new cable? Thanks!

I'd remove the cable at the engine and operate engine to observe the problem. Then manually move the shift lever all the way to the engine's mechanical limits both in F and R and see if sound disappears. If so, then replace the shift cable.

On replacing the 3 with 6 slots for R gear engagement, the solution as I see it is that you have twice as many engagement surfaces to round off and cause sloppy shifting. If you have engagement and at higher RPMs, if the engine stays in the selected gear under power, boat in the water and moving, then I'd forget spending the time and money on upgrading. Worn cogs/slots don't prevent you from going into gear.....they "can" prevent you from staying in the selected gear under load. I had a 110 HP I/O with worn off edges so I know what it feels/acts like.

I'd remove the cable at the engine and operate engine to observe the problem. Then manually move the shift lever all the way to the engine's mechanical limits both in F and R and see if sound disappears. If so, then replace the shift cable.

On replacing the 3 with 6 slots for R gear engagement, the solution as I see it is that you have twice as many engagement surfaces to round off and cause sloppy shifting. If you have engagement and at higher RPMs, if the engine stays in the selected gear under power, boat in the water and moving, then I'd forget spending the time and money on upgrading. Worn cogs/slots don't prevent you from going into gear.....they "can" prevent you from staying in the selected gear under load. I had a 110 HP I/O with worn off edges so I know what it feels/acts like.
Thanks!

Back