Logo

92 25hp mercury lower problems

joeromo

hey everyone, im new to the world of working on boat motors and my problem is that i need to replace the forward gear in the lower unit. i have removed the lower but im not sure how to take it apart to get to the gear. ive searched and searhed and cannot find how this is done. any help would be greatly appriciated!

The propshaft bearing housing is a left hand thread.----Make up a tool from a piece of pipe to remove it.-------The rest is fairly straight forward mechanical work.

The propshaft bearing housing is a left hand thread.----Make up a tool from a piece of pipe to remove it.-------The rest is fairly straight forward mechanical work.

im not real sure how to get to that... like i said im new with boat motors but ive worked on a lot of other stuff. right now i have the lower off and the prop off with both the drive shaft and prop shaft still intact. i dont know what to do from here as far as getting into there to replace my forward gear.

On some of those the thrust hub can be turned around to use as a tool to remove the bearing carrier.-------Or make up a piece of pipe to remove the propshaft bearing housing.-----------Needs to fit the three notches in the housing.--Left hand thread.------------Or , run to your local shop and have them remove that housing !--------Why do you suspect a problem with forward gear ?

Last edited:
Make up a piece of pipe to remove the propshaft bearing housing.-----------Needs to fit the three notches in the housing.--Left hand thread.------------Or , run to your local shop and have them remove that housing !--------Why do you suspect a problem with forward gear ?

oh ok i understand. and because the last couple times the motor was ran it had problems going forward as in like it didnt really wanna go. if you really slowly gave it throttle you would be alright but if you gave too much it was like the shaft was spinning but not catching. my initital guess was that the gear inside the prop had the teeth messed up but as it turns out it was ok so my next guess is the forward gear.

To check if the prop has a spun hub use a felt marker and make a line across the prop and hub run it where it slips and check to see if the prop moved on the hub. If its not getting water in the gearbox dont take it apart.

i know its not a problem with the prop. we have checked into that before.

Gears generally do not slip but props do !!!-------Are you 100% sure it is not the prop !-----How did you check and determine that it is not the prop ?-----Are you aware that props are not " solid " and they have a rubber drive hub ?

Back