Logo

91 mercury 75HP starter engages when I tilt and trim

slowmocomotion

New member
Hello,

I have discovered this forum while searching for an answer to a perplexing phenomenon I am experiencing with my newly acquired boat.

I am completely green to boating and just purchased a 1994 Lund Angler Deluxe with a 75 hp mercury outboard. I was thoroughly going through the boat and motor in my drive way and I came across this problem.

When I turn the key the starter pops up, engages the flywheel and then proceeds to spin and turn the motor over to start with no problem.

When I hit up or down on tilt/trim the motor moves up and down respectively. The problem is that when I hit up or down on the tilt/trim the starter also engages the flywheel simultaneously. Once engage the starter only spins the motor/flywheel by about 10 degrees. It does not spin the flywheel much, no matter how long i hold up or down, but I did not think the starter was supposed to touch the flywheel while tilt/trim is being operated. To make it clear. When hitting up or down on tilt the motor does not spin like it would when I am starting it only moves the flywheel by an inch if that.

Please help explain if this is normal.
 
This is totally wrong !-------------Check wiring in the control box , and on the solenoids on the side of the motor.---------Perhaps find a wiring diagram at ----------mastertechmarine.com--------and check this out before you take boat off the trailer.
 
does the trim work properly?does it try to engage starter regagardless of the position of the key?
 
you probably have a 3w trim motor. the solenoids for trim pull power from the starter circuit. Somebody probably miswired the solenoids so that trim control is activating your starter solenoid. Identify your starter solenoid and trace the local wires to make sure that all three solenoids have completely independant control leads. If not, then it's deeper into your wiring.
 
Just got home from work and its been raining here all day about to get dark as well... Ill take a look at this tomorrow morning and post what i find3
 
hello,

Thanks Rritt for your advice that is exactly what the problem was.

The black wire coming from the up relay on the tilt/trim was connected to the negative terminal of the starter solenoid.

I took that wire and ground it out on a proper ground and now the tilt/trim works perfectly.
 
Back
Top