Logo

90's Yamaha 40 HP 3cyl 2stroke exhaust-water question

Adam Downunder

New member
Hi all, recently purhassed my first boat with a 40HP 2T Yamaha outboard. I took it out yesterday for the first time and I noticed a lot of smoke coming into the boat while on the move at low speed. When I got home I flushed the engine in a barrel I've noticed exhaust and cooling water coming out from the hole I'm pointing at in the attached video. I've downloaded a repair manual but didn't have answer for my question, watched dozens of youtube videos but still no answer. My question is: what is that port for? Any help much appreciated.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRG7mbsfEZg
 
The port you point to is just for monitoring your exhaust. A bit like the way that a tell tale shows you a sample of the water coming through your cooling system. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I imagine it also has to do with allowing the air to escape from the muffler as the leg is lowered into the water.

Stuart
 
Back
Top