Logo

90 hp 1996 yamaha outboard alarm when key on. New to this motor.

danalex

Contributing Member
I just bought this motor, hooking up on my pontoon boat. Bolted it on. Removed merc controls. Installed electrical cables to motor, Installed shift and throttle to motor, not to binnacle yet. Hooked up electrical, tachometer, key switch, a two position toggle that I suspect is the choke? The tilt and trim work. I shifted the binnacle to neutral (Cables not connected yet) and turned on the key to the run position. did not crank. The alarm went off, a continuous tone that does not change. It continues for at least a minute, i turned it back to off and it quit. The man I bought it from cranked and ran it two days ago. I'm wondering, is it a low battery alarm? maybe the motor is in gear and it knows that? I filled the oil tank up and it still does the same thing, shouldnt be a low oil, as far as I can tell. I'll go move the motor to neutral and see if that fixes it. I have no water attached yet, could that be it? I also do not have the fuel tank connected. I am about to go buy the connectors for the cable to binnacle mount and the connector for the fuel tank, My stuff is mercury and I want new stuff anyway.
Help?

With Yam motor/controls...if alarm activates when turning key to ON position this is usually associated w/low volts. Check ur cranking battery...shud be min 12.7v

Back