I have a ‘99,Evinrude 9.9-4 stroke that hasn't been used in about four or five years. It’sbeen stored vertical on a cart in the garage all this time and the cylinderswere fogged when it was stored.
It was tough tostart and ran like crap, the carb was all gummed up so I rebuilt the carburetorand now it runs great!
While I'm at itI also changed the oil and filter.
I took it offthe stand and placed it on the floor (tiller up, on pads) to clean up thegrease around the stern bracket a bit, and the next day put it back on thestand to run it again.
Though itstarted up on the first pull and ran great I noticed there was a spurt of freshcrank case oil that came out of the ‘air horn’ (above the carb intake) andpooled up in the cowling.
This air hornis connected via hose to the cylinder head cover assembly.
I've never seenthat before, and I don't recall ever seeing oil residue in the cowling belowthe engine.
That’s allthere was, it didn't continue to spit out and only left a pool about the sizeof a half dollar in the cowling.
What's up withthat?
This engine hasnever been laid down on its port side (oil filter above), to cause water toenter the powerhead.
It was tough tostart and ran like crap, the carb was all gummed up so I rebuilt the carburetorand now it runs great!
While I'm at itI also changed the oil and filter.
I took it offthe stand and placed it on the floor (tiller up, on pads) to clean up thegrease around the stern bracket a bit, and the next day put it back on thestand to run it again.
Though itstarted up on the first pull and ran great I noticed there was a spurt of freshcrank case oil that came out of the ‘air horn’ (above the carb intake) andpooled up in the cowling.
This air hornis connected via hose to the cylinder head cover assembly.
I've never seenthat before, and I don't recall ever seeing oil residue in the cowling belowthe engine.
That’s allthere was, it didn't continue to spit out and only left a pool about the sizeof a half dollar in the cowling.
What's up withthat?
This engine hasnever been laid down on its port side (oil filter above), to cause water toenter the powerhead.

