Logo

8hp Impeller

bushwood

Contributing Member
How hard is it to change out a mid 80's, 8hp impeller? I don't have the ser# on the shaft as the previous owner(s) did a modification of some sort. Is the lower unit dropped and then.... what?

Thank you.

3 screws and the lower unit drops ---------No need to worry about the shift rod.-------------------Waterpump will be obvious on top of the lower unit when you see it.

A new impeller is all you need in most cases.--------------Any more is just a waste of money .----------Opinions will of course vary.-------99.5 % of the time a new impeller is all that would be needed for a fresh water motor.

Taking the lower unit off and inspecting the impeller was a breeze. Once I figured out how to get the lower unit back up and attached, I encountered a problem...It won't go into reverse. Neutral and forward work.

Any suggestions?

A motor like yours must be running in order for shift dog to engage properly !----------Or if it is not running then someone must turn the prop when moving shift lever to put the motor into gear.--Shifting from forward or reverse to nuetral works when motor is not running-----------------I do not think there is a problem here.

Back