Logo

89 force l drive 85 hp dies when throttle up

Towman63

I have 85 hp l drive runs great out of water and runs good in reverse in water but when I power up forward it dies Then i have to choke to restart,Has good fuel pump and filter but sounds like starving for fuel but only forward in water,help

Your motor is older but I have the same issue with a 1992 Force 120hp. I think your problem will be in the ignition. My 1992 did the same and I went through all the trouble shooting. Started with fuel system, cleaned the carbs seems to run great on muffs, put it in the water and it starts right up. reverse off the trailer like all is good.When you put it in forward and take off it start to bog down. So, I did a compression check and all 4 cylinder had compression from 135psi to 145psi all with in 10%. I then purchased spark plug tester(a lite that hooks up between the wire from the coil and spark plug). Cylinder 1 & 2 no spark, cylinder 3 & 4 spark was good. I swapped coils 1&2 for 3&4 and the problem did not move. Issue still with 1&2 so it wasn't the coils. The coils get the power from the switch box so this could be the problem. The switch box get the power from the stator and the switch box get the signal to fire from the trigger. So potential issue could be the stator, switch box or trigger. On the 1992 the stator has four wires to provide power to the switch boxes. 2 wires provide power for cylinder 1&2 and the other 2 provide power for 3&4. I swapped wires then test for spark again. No spark on 1&2 had spark on 3&4. So now I know my stator is good. To test the trigger wire I moved the trigger wire from 1 to 3 and 3 to 1. Tested for spark again. 1 did not spark but 3 did have spark. So this tells me that my trigger is good. This leads to the problem being the switch boxes. I have ordered one and should have it this Friday to test. FYI when you do this test remove all spark plug wires and ground them motor block. When connecting the spark plug tester remove the ground wire. I just used 4 pieces of scrap wire and jammed them into the spark plug wire then connected the other end of all 4 to one wire that was grounded to the engine block. I hope this helps.

Back