Logo

89 50 hp mercury motor spark only on one cylinder

fishingdoug24

New member
I bought a used 1989 50 hp mec

I bought a used 1989 50 hp mecury 3 cylinder motor. It only has spark on the number two cylinder. I took the working coil wire to a non working coil and got spark. Can anyone tell me what to do now? I think its the switch box but I want to be sure.
 
"Douglas, with your type of ig

"Douglas, with your type of ignition, loss of spark at 2 of the 3 plugs (assuming that you didn't blow two coils at the same time), usually indicates a bad Trigger (not the switch box).

You can do a simple trigger test with an ohm meter. You are looking for continuity between each of the trigger leads (for each respective cylinder) - that's a quick way to see whether or not it's the problem - however, as always, a complete ignition troubleshooting, as outlined in any decent manual, is in order...

Alternately, for the quick at home method, you can move the trigger leads (from the connection that you know is firing - in your case #2) to one of the other inputs on the switchbox. If the "fire" moves, the switchbox is ok and you know that the trigger lead for that cylinder is not sending it's trigger pulse...."
 
OK guys I tested everything ac

OK guys I tested everything acording to the manual and its all good. There wasn't a test for the switch box. And I don't have spark. Is there anything else it could be other than the swith box?
 
find the yellow/black wire on

find the yellow/black wire on the switch box remove it then try and run it and test for spark. the ylw/blk wire is the spark stop wire.
 
Back
Top