Logo

89’ 3.0L way over full with milky oil

Mgusciora

New member
So I just bought a boat (wicked cheap) with a 3.0 OMC which from what I found is the same as a merc. The oil is way over full, halfway up the dipstick, of milky oil. Smells almost like gas. Supposedly boat was ran 2 years ago. Are we sure the block is cracked or can this be a head/manifold gasket.

Thanks.
 
there should be a plug in the bottom of the pan,otherwise the dipstick has a threaded fitting to suck it out
So I drained the crank case. About 1.5 gallons of crystal clear water and 6oz of milky oil. Engine turns ok and there was no rusty water in the crank case. What’s the idea?
 
That’s what I’m thinking. Nothing I can see from the outside. If I get it running, what’s the best way to tell.

Thank you
pressure test the cooling system. Block off the inlet and outlet hoses fill with compressed air 15 lbs or so and it should hold pressure.

If you have a crack into the oil crankcase, you will likely feel air coming out the valve cover
 
Back
Top