Logo

88 Force 125 gauges

jerold

Regular Contributor
Gas gauge, tach, and voltage gauge. The gas gauge seems to be accurate when the motor is NOT running. The tach reads nonsense but is reading something, and the volt gauge seems to be working when the motor is NOT running. ALL the gauges go UP when the motor is RUNNING. The voltage and gas gauges max out, and the tach points downward. Any suggestions where to start?

Sounds like the power feed is the wrong lead. Try the purple lead for power??
What boat?The grounds all hooked together? Any others accidently hook in?

The power lead for the gauge cluster is coming directly from the battery....

98 16' Capri. NOT the original motor. Not the original throttle controls.

Thanks for the input, Jerry, as always...
Now that I've had some time to think about it, duh, the power lead should not be direct from the battery. When the engine is running, it is CHARGING the battery at more than 12volts. That would make the gas gauge max out, right?

So the power to the gauges should probably be coming from the throttle control box, correct? You say the purple lead?

Right now the power from the battery goes to a switch on the dash that turns on the gauges. Its screwy because the motor change from 90 to 125 was done by a rookie. The thing that threw him for a loop probably was that the ignition key for the 90 was on the dash. The ignition key to the 125 is on the throttle control. So wires got cut, re-arranged, and spliced.

Under the dash, I can see where the power wire to the gauge cluster comes in from the battery. Should I change it from the battery terminal, to the purple lead inside the throttle control? I assume that must be some kind of regulated power, right?

Is there a volt regulator on these Forces? Is it the rectifier? Is my rectifier bad?

Doubt the rectifier is bad.
Test light or meter.
Check the voltage on the purple lead when running.
Then start pulling leads.

Back