1986 75 HP Mariner 4 cylinder
I hit a R/R tie in a lake here in Oklahoma, surprised I didn’thit the locomotive, it was probably washed into the lake as well. Other thansome minor paint damage to skeg, it and the prop looked fine. I had just repaintedboth. I towed the R/R tie to the marina and went about my way. I ran out offuel about 20 minutes later and switched tanks promptly before engine died.
The issue began, sluggish and poor performance at RPM’sof less than 2000, and then worsened in all ranges. Back on shore, changedprops, switched to shore bought non ethanol fuel with sta-bil and Quicksilveroil as usual. We have plenty of non-ethanol fuel here and I always try to run91 octane with sta-bil regardless, some marina’s only have ethanol. Checked allfuel lines for visible leaks, changed fuel filter, pulled main jet plugs anddrained fuel from carbs, checked fuel supply from primer bulb (new Quicksilver5 yrs. old), plenty of fuel reaching fuel pump. Engine still runs like it’sstarving for gas.
5 Years ago I rebuilt the carbs & fuel pump withMercury parts. I used fuel injection hose for my new lines clear to the tank. Iomitted the fitting at the motor cowl as I did on a “71 115 Merc I used to own.I may have slipped a little by not using “perfect circle” ties; I usedconventional screw type hose clamps. I had other issues as well, had to have anew electronic control module and stator installed. I had a professionalinstall the module and stator. It has a new tilt & trim as well. It has runawesome since. I’ve been using it almost monthly.
I suspect an issue with the fuel pump diaphragm and or myhoses and clamps, I’ve checked them all, there seems to be no leakage of fuel. Number1 & 2 plugs seem “wet” with some light fowling.
I’ve not checked spark or compression yet, 5 years agospark was enough for Frankenstein and compression was 121, 119, 119, and 119. I’mtempted to throw in the towel and take it to the shop. Should I do all of thechecks, spark, compression, then fuel? I’ve a sneaky hunch the devils in thedetail! This baby is 29 years old and it’s been good to me for 21 of that. Doyou think the strike on the R/R tie is related? The rubber hub has looked suspectbefore this; I will have the hub replaced. You guys are the best, thank you!
I hit a R/R tie in a lake here in Oklahoma, surprised I didn’thit the locomotive, it was probably washed into the lake as well. Other thansome minor paint damage to skeg, it and the prop looked fine. I had just repaintedboth. I towed the R/R tie to the marina and went about my way. I ran out offuel about 20 minutes later and switched tanks promptly before engine died.
The issue began, sluggish and poor performance at RPM’sof less than 2000, and then worsened in all ranges. Back on shore, changedprops, switched to shore bought non ethanol fuel with sta-bil and Quicksilveroil as usual. We have plenty of non-ethanol fuel here and I always try to run91 octane with sta-bil regardless, some marina’s only have ethanol. Checked allfuel lines for visible leaks, changed fuel filter, pulled main jet plugs anddrained fuel from carbs, checked fuel supply from primer bulb (new Quicksilver5 yrs. old), plenty of fuel reaching fuel pump. Engine still runs like it’sstarving for gas.
5 Years ago I rebuilt the carbs & fuel pump withMercury parts. I used fuel injection hose for my new lines clear to the tank. Iomitted the fitting at the motor cowl as I did on a “71 115 Merc I used to own.I may have slipped a little by not using “perfect circle” ties; I usedconventional screw type hose clamps. I had other issues as well, had to have anew electronic control module and stator installed. I had a professionalinstall the module and stator. It has a new tilt & trim as well. It has runawesome since. I’ve been using it almost monthly.
I suspect an issue with the fuel pump diaphragm and or myhoses and clamps, I’ve checked them all, there seems to be no leakage of fuel. Number1 & 2 plugs seem “wet” with some light fowling.
I’ve not checked spark or compression yet, 5 years agospark was enough for Frankenstein and compression was 121, 119, 119, and 119. I’mtempted to throw in the towel and take it to the shop. Should I do all of thechecks, spark, compression, then fuel? I’ve a sneaky hunch the devils in thedetail! This baby is 29 years old and it’s been good to me for 21 of that. Doyou think the strike on the R/R tie is related? The rubber hub has looked suspectbefore this; I will have the hub replaced. You guys are the best, thank you!

