Logo

85 mercury 45hp

MLOPIPARO

Had the motor out for the first time, it was running good ( sounded, started and idled) it would not hit higher rpm’s .. only 8mph.new plugs and there all getting spark.. also when coming in to the dock, put in neutral than back into gear.. it barely moves now and motor revs like it’s in neutral still. I manually pushed the shifter on the motor all the way still same thing.. when In gear it clicks in F with ease, but won’t spin in R. When In F gear the prop won’t turn counter clockwise but clicks when turning clockwise

Normal for it to click when turning clockwise in forward.-----Are both carburetors clean ?-----Post the compression numbers.----You did install a new water pump impeller I hope.

Normal for it to click when turning clockwise in forward.-----Are both carburetors clean ?-----Post the compression numbers.----You did install a new water pump impeller I hope.
Water pump is working great, I have not cleaned the carbs. Going to do that tonight. Everything ran great out of the water, just won’t open up under a load on the lake.. the prop sone and clicks with ease when in drive! When it happened on the lake.. the motor barely moved the boat, and sounded like it was in neutral when in drive

I think it is easy to diagnose your motor.----And they all run great on a hose in the driveway.----Even a V-6 will sound great running on 3 of 6 cylinders.---Testing for power does NOT work in your driveway.

I ccan not see / feel or hear your motor.----Guessing does not work.----Was the lower unit off for water pump work ?-----How did this motor work for you last season ?----Or perhaps it is new to you ?-----These are a wonderful motor and easy to maintain.----But you must learn how.

It’s starts and runs good! It’s just won’t get over 8 mph. It never sputters or anything. It was shifting fine also. Until heading back to the launch. Never hit anything with the prop. It just basically seemed like it didn’t go fully back in in gear all the way. I just bought the motor, this was the first time on the water with it. I did not take the lower unit apart

So it starts but is NOT running a full power out on the water.----Maybe the exhaust is plugged ?----Do you have spark that jumps a gap of 3/8" on the 4 leads , yes or no ?----Post the actual compression values here.----Or perhaps a carburetor is plugged.----Or fuel pump diaphragm is ruptured.----Flywheel key sheared?----Wires from switch box going to the wrong coils?----Perhaps you bought someones problems with this motor.----It should be easy to figure out where the issue is in my opinion..

Mine did same or similar.. Did you check your spark on each cylinder... I mean each cylinder as the cdi box can fail and only provide spark to 2. Rans fine in the driveway but bogged down on the water..

Back