Logo

85 Johnson 9.9 steering column leak?

Jurmy22

I’m new to boating and bought a 16’ Jon boat 2 weeks ago I had it out today for the second time and when I got home I noticed grease leaking from what I think it called the steering column I had the engine tilted back on the 2 hour drive home. I didn’t notice it when i pulled it out of the water but did notice it when I got home. Is this a problem or is it normal?

Welcome to the forum. Did you have the fuel hose disconnected from the motor? Also be sure to put it in gear when towing....you don't want prop to spin.

Last edited:
I’m new to boating and bought a 16’ Jon boat 2 weeks ago I had it out today for the second time and when I got home I noticed grease leaking from what I think it called the steering column I had the engine tilted back on the 2 hour drive home. I didn’t notice it when i pulled it out of the water but did notice it when I got home. Is this a problem or is it normal?

b51c633d-bcfe-449f-a631-8826c63d4396

Could be carb was leaking out mixed gas because tank pressure from shaking and perhaps heat, pushed fuel mix through and ran down.....picking up grease along the way. When motor is tilted up, the valve which is controlled by the float may not stop fuel mix.....especially when hitting road bumps. Of course the float controls fuel flow on gravity and floatation, so if it's off parallel from level ground or water, it proportionatly looses it's ability to effectively control fuel flow.

Jurmy22;693994 Maybe this will help describe it [COLOR="#FF0000" said:
finally figured out how to post a picture[/COLOR].

Now all you have to do is figure out how to post them the right way up.

It really does look like grease, l. Perhaps the steering swivel bearings have been over greased or grease has been flushed out as Timguy suggests

Get rag and clean it off and disconnect the fuel next time

outboard grease.jpg

Last edited:
Back