Logo

'84 Johnson 50 Overheating

kfreedman

For the first time ever, the overheat buzzer activated. Also note that I rarely really run the motor but do crank it up on occasion just in case I get the opportunity to fish. I removed the cylinder head cover and found the thermostat and cover/head full of deposits (BTW, this has been a salt water boat its whole life) as you can see in the attached pics.

I replaced the thermostat, and cleaned up the pressure relief valve, the head cover and head and reassembled with a new gasket. Surprisingly, the buzzer still activated after a few minutes at idle. I check the cylinder head temp with a infrared thermostat and the buzzer activated around 212 degrees F just like the service manual said it should so I dont believe temperature switch is faulty.

The service manual indicates the next steps include removing the head itself to check for various serious issues but also obstructed water passages or missing deflectors.

Based on the deposits found on the thermostat and all, it wouldnt surprise me the water passages may be obstructed. Before I take the step of removing the head, is there anything I should try?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Attachments

• Johnson 3.jpg
    Johnson 3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 16
  • Johnson 1.jpg
    Johnson 1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Johnson 2.jpg
    Johnson 2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 17
The motor needs a new water pump impeller about every 5 years.----Has this been done ??----You need a new impeller today.

After replacing thermostat and water pump, still got the overheat buzzer warning. Is the next step removing the head and looking for obstructions?

I removed the head and it was full of deposits which I could imagine severely restricted flow and is possibly the last cause of the overheating problem.

Any best practices for cleaning the water jackets down deep in power head?

Also, what is that black rubberlike seal-looking thing I fished out of there? I cant tell if it is was a manufactured seal or some loose silicone something. Are there any seals up in there I cant find on the parts diagram?Johnson Powerhead 1.jpgJohnson Powerhead 2.jpg

Back