Logo

84 115 evinrude bought a Temperature Gauge and sender, is there a good spot to modify it

comet424

Regular Contributor
hi
so i was at the marina yesterday picked up the Faria Temperature gauge and sending unit.. paper says just take off a head bolt and then you just rest this thing against the housing etc... but my head bolts are recessed down from the cover... i looked for a couple of spots on the block nothing good

has anyone added a temperature gauge and if so how

my couple ideas was 1 to try to bend the bar a bit and try to rub it on the water jacket plate on the back

2 get longer head bolts if can put a bushing between the head and the sending unit and bolt it down

3 put a piece of metal some how between the sending unit and the engine block..

but if any of you have done this truck be great to share... its not the one that goes in the hole its the unit on a flat bar with the hole for the bolt and the other end is the sending unit itself

here is a pic of the sending unit i working with

Attachments

• PIC_1463.jpg
    PIC_1463.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 23
  • PIC_1462.jpg
    PIC_1462.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 24
  • PIC_1461.jpg
    PIC_1461.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 26
and here is the back of my engine there is 2 spots i guessing for temperature probs one by the top by the lifting hook

and the other is just behind the tilt trim box off to the side hole in the block but they both not threaded but of course it wont work for this sensor

not sure if faria makes one to push in there?

Attachments

• PIC_1467.jpg
    PIC_1467.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 24
  • PIC_1466.jpg
    PIC_1466.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 32
  • PIC_1465.jpg
    PIC_1465.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 30
  • PIC_1464.jpg
    PIC_1464.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 18
i was able to get a longer head bolt and added 3 washers to lift it is this a good spot to get a temperature reading???
here the pics

Attachments

• PIC_1471.jpg
    PIC_1471.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 14
  • PIC_1470.jpg
    PIC_1470.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17
  • PIC_1469.jpg
    PIC_1469.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
  • PIC_1468.jpg
    PIC_1468.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 14
First I have heard of one like that. I would want to make sure the sender on the back was flat up tight to the metal and maybe put some heat sync grease to transfer the heat to the senser better? Let us know how well it is working.

ok i will i still gotta put this engine on my boat i rebuilt the engine so its going to be like 2 weeks i got baby robbins living off my boat right now so i havent bothered to do the install but once i do ill reply to this thread

ya i have computer thermal paste i can use..

and right now its pretty tight to the metal best i can do with what i working with but ill be sure to let you guys know

Back