Logo

83’ Evinrude 15hp rough idle if at all.

JonnyBoats

New member
Hi I recently bought a 83’ 15hp Evinrude that I knew needed a little work. Cleaned out the carb and ran great for about 4 hours of continuous use. Then I hit a patch of weeds and it stopped running for a little while. Was stranded on the lake for about an hour. Got her running and on the way back it seemed to be surging power. Like it couldn’t make up its mind. I was at WOT and if I let it down slightly it would almost stall. I made it back to the ramp. But back home it stopped peeing and now can’t get it to idle without stalling. Any ideas? Could it be out of time? It seems to run very rough.
 
the guy I bought it from replaced the water pump assembly. When I took it off it looked like it was crammed in there and was extremely difficult to get out. I ordered a new water pump assembly with overnight shipping. Along with a compression tester. I will post those values as soon as those parts come in.
 
I did the impeller and a carb rebuild kit. Tested both cylinders and both were at 75 psi… I don’t know how accurate it is being from Amazon. Started it up for maybe a minute and it started smoking in the barrel heavily. No pee. Got it started once more but only for about 30 seconds then died. Hasn’t seized and the compression is still the same after all the smoke.
 
Hey I got the same problem. The motor won't pee and it won't idle. Let me know if you figure it out and get it fixed.
I ended up having a weak coil. So I replaced both coils and had to retweak the carb from my meddling. Fired right up. But then I started having fuel issues with my gas tank but the tank was the last thing I did. And I changed all the fuel lines as well.
 
Thank you, but did you ever find out if the two were related? He also claims he re-did the carburetor. My motor starts up good if I give it some gas, but it doesn't idle. Also, there is no water peeing but it bubbles and pushes out where the water is supposed to be sucked in in the lower end.
 
Thank you, but did you ever find out if the two were related? My motor starts up good if I give it some gas, but it doesn't idle. Also, there is no water peeing but it bubbles and pushes out where the water is supposed to be sucked in in the lower end.
I think it was like a systematic failure. One thing going wrong after another from my incompetence just winging it.

When you did the impeller change. Did you happen to accidentally tug the drive shaft when reinstalling the lower unit. I did and the impeller key fell out. Luckily still in the water pump assembly. But it was doing kinda the same thing.
 
I think it was like a systematic failure. One thing going wrong after another from my incompetence just winging it.

When you did the impeller change. Did you happen to accidentally tug the drive shaft when reinstalling the lower unit. I did and the impeller key fell out. Luckily still in the water pump assembly. But it was doing kinda the same thing.
Hey thanks! I will consider that possibility. I never replace this one, but the owner I just bought it from did himself. However, I did replace one on my previous motor that is almost identical so I'll know what to look for. Thanks!
 
Hey thanks! I will consider that possibility. I never replace this one, but the owner I just bought it from did himself. However, I did replace one on my previous motor that is almost identical so I'll know what to look for. Thanks!
Never trust when they say they changed something unless you can see it yourself or proof. I had trusted in my Merc 35 that they changed it. It peed fine in a bucket. Got it out in the water and the thing tore to pieces when I opened it up. The dude in fact did not change it for me. lol. There are definitely a lot of shenanigans from people selling these things
 
Never trust when they say they changed something unless you can see it yourself or proof. I had trusted in my Merc 35 that they changed it. It peed fine in a bucket. Got it out in the water and the thing tore to pieces when I opened it up. The dude in fact did not change it for me. lol. There are definitely a lot of shenanigans from people selling these things
Yeah, if the impeller repair doesn’t work, do you know how I can clear out the water cooling system?
 
Did you test in a deep enough bucket ???-----Perhaps the rubber grommet at the top of the water tube under the powerhead is plugged.
 
Or maybe you have a blockage inside your cooling system causing it to build some sort of back pressure bubbling out of the intake
Apparently it wasn't bubbling out of the intake, but out of the two lower vents above the intake ones. I took off the lower end, and I found that the inside of the exhaust area was covered in a milky brown substance, and I was told that it was oil and water mixed. I also did an experiment where I blew water up the whole where the water is shoved up to the engine(green circled area), and it came right out the red circled area which should be the exhaust. I don't think the impeller is bad, but maybe a gasket or something blew? Any ideas?
boatmotor.jpg
 
Back
Top