Logo

79 marquis with mecruiser I/O 305 V8 questions

jdtm84

Got this boat yesterday have had it about 27 hours I need to replace the transom seal or bellows what ever they call this ripped chunk of rubber stopping me from using this boat wondering how hard this will be I am mechanically inclined and have done some of this work before but never on one like this. Also while I have your attention what is the HP on this engine? Just wondering, Its a 305 mercruiser (800)? I have the parts to fix this boat but not sure where to start. any info would be great diagrams would be better. Just so every one knows its a 1979 Marquis Caribbean 18 foot cuddie cabin. Mecruiser 305 V8 Inboard/Outboard. PLEASE HELP! Thanks

A 79 305 made about 175 hp.

But what concerns me is you using the 800.

Then it's a stringer.

Got a pic of the drive ? This a rubber hose about 3-4 " round or a big boot transom seal around the transom and drive.

Need a pic.

this is a big rubber boot that connects to the stern drive and out to the transom no pics right now and the 800 was something the guy I bought it from said not sure if he knew or was guessing.

Last edited:
Maybe a mercruiser dressed block ,but merc never hooked it to a stringer drive.To replace the boot, remove all the screws, the retainer ring, fold the boot and find the hose clamps securing it to the intermediate housing.Removing the drive makes it easier but you can slip the new boot over it.

I have a 1978 slickcraft with a mercruiser 228 (gm 305), and the hp rating is RATED at 228hp, but Chiefalen is probably closer to right @175-190hp. Just from age and wear. Tell ya what though good engine, easy to work on, relatively cheap, and reliable.
Good luck

Sorry to all I looked at the engine and out drive again today, it is OMC not mercruiser its 185 hp GM still not sure on removal of transom seal or bellows? It is a big rubber seal with folds in it and a lot of screws all the way around on the transom.
Montague-20110821-00076.jpgMontague-20110821-00077.jpgsome pics

yea well you got a stringer and if you gave us a picture sideways of the full drive i could narrow it down for you. You may have a fully mechanical shift, or hydro / mechanical shift. Makes a big difference.

Also you could re-post this in the omc forum and i can talk you thru your problems.

See you over there.

Back