Logo

78 Evinrude 85HP what years and models best for parts

ericoffshore

New member
"I've just acquired a 78 E

"I've just acquired a 78 Evinrude 85HP with a model number of 85899C. I'm interested in getting a parts motor and would like advice on which years and models to consider.

Also, I'm curious to know what the differences between the three different model numbers are for that year (85890, 85895, 85899C) and what the C might mean for my variant.

Thanks!"
 
"I dunno your motor, but, I gu

"I dunno your motor, but, I guess I'd start with a check of the other end of those HT cables. Some of them can come loose at the coil end.

BTW, you probably would have better luck getting help if you started your own thread with your question as people better qualified to help you may pass up my subject line..."
 
"I'm thinking at this poin

"I'm thinking at this point that my question is not quite kosher in some way, given the lack of response. Perhaps it is too big an ask and there is too much analysis or too much info to allow for a quick response to the question.

I'm a complete novice at maintaining old outboards, but I comfortable tinkering with stuff and am determined to get and keep my new 30 year old motor strong and reliable.

Given the popularity and age of the OMC 90deg. V4, it seems like a good candidate for accomplishing this. Mine appears to be in good condition, strong compression, little corrosion, etc. I'm trying to do it on the cheap, so purchasing a parts engine struck me as an economical way to go. Is there a better strategy?

What parts am I going to need over the next 10-15 years? Ignition bits seems like a sure bet. Having a good spare lower unit seems like good insurance. What else typically goes wrong.

I know that 78 was a big year for the 85hp with the move to a mechanical shifter. What other years and models share this lower unit?

Any pointers to this info will be appreciated. Thanks!"
 
The consumable parts are readi

The consumable parts are readily available and will be for a long time.Run the correct prop and replace the impeller on a regular basis ( and now if you do not know the condition or age ). Use a good oil at 50:1 and run the carburetors dry when you take the boat out of the water.
 
"Thanks, ikia.

I hear you a


"Thanks, ikia.

I hear you and appreciate the don't worry, be happy approach. I don't feel great about the idea of cannibalizing a potentially redeemable core, or having to store it.

On the other hand, I live in Maine and the season is short. I don't want to be down for weeks looking for an affordable replacement part or to be forced to pay more than I have into the boat and motor ($1,500) in order to get back on the water quickly. The salvaged parts dealers I have seen on the Internet so far have parts, but,... ouch. I am asking around for more local and affordable sources.

I have no experience to base this decision on, but, I do know that it is likely to take a while to find a good candidate at the right price, so I think I will continue to try to educate myself about the options and to watch the classifieds."
 
Back
Top