Logo

77 tower of power Dist. trigger test?, Screw in plug wire terminal install?

oldschoolnc

Contributing Member
Hello. Is there a way to bench test the trigger? and is a special tool required to install the plug wire terminal end that screws into the dist. cap? Thanks for your time.

A ohm meter test will tell you all you know to know. It's a simple circuit of magnetic pickups.

You cannot ohms test this style trigger as it has no magnets and works off hall effect. You can test it on motor to see if faulty with a few jumper wires.

..."You cannot ohms test this style trigger as it has no magnets and works off hall effect. "

Then how does it read out, by feminine intuition? There's a circuit there that sends out the signal.

Jeff

Yes there is a circuit but I will try and keep it simple so you will understand. The trigger has a semiconductor coil which gets its power from a internal circuit in switchbox thru the brown and white wires. This voltage is in the 5 volt range and this creates a magnetic field which which the slots in trigger disk open and close. The field opening/closing produces a signal that the trigger sends out the switchbox which really is a amplifer on the black wire. Theres a lot more to it so I kept it simple.

..."Theres a lot more to it so I kept it simple. "

Gee, thanks! If there's 5 volts running around in there then there is a circuit than can be checked with a meter.

Did I make that simple enough for you?

Jeff

Just trying to help you understand how it works just like had to explain to you how ADI ignition works...….where is Merc ohm spec for trigger??????

Per the Merc manual, "7 to 10 ohms between brown and white/black trigger leads," and ditto for the white and violet trigger leads.

Any more questions?

Jeff

Any more questions?
Heres the Answer...
The trigger only has 3 wires and don't have a violet or white/black lead...throw the Selco book away as those specs are for a ADI ignition . It has a brown, a black and a white or tan later models changed color. There ARE NO OHM specs for this trigger. I have had some fellow techs in different states tell me a noid light works but never tried it. Below is CDI's manual and they post no ohm specs either!!!

"Installation and Troubleshooting Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction or use of content, in any manner, without express written permission by CDI Electronics, Inc., is prohibited. "
CDI Electronics • 111 Commerce Circle • Madison, AL 35758 • Fax 256-772-5701 • www.cdielectronics.com

Troubleshooting

NOTICE: The trigger cannot be bench tested except with the CDI Electronics Trigger Tester P/N: 511-9710 (the tester can also be used to test the trigger while on the engine). Be sure to follow the instructions at the bottom when lining up the rotor and disk.

is a special tool required to install the plug wire terminal end that screws into the dist. cap?
I use a coax crimping tool as it form a 6 side hex....

Need to check your glasses as those are ADI ignition specs....and your manual as Merc spec are Rx100= 11-14 ohms and CDI specs are 8-14 ohms

specs.jpg

Got a crick in my neck--couldn't you post the fool thing vertically?

That said, you proved my point that the trigger coils have resistance and can be checked with a meter.

Jeff

Not for this posters motor....thought you knew the difference between ADI(alternator driven ignition) and BCD (battery coil driven)(spelled it out for ya). Everybody knows that ADI trigger can be ohmed but the BCD distributer type cannot. That's why no spec for it... Geesh

I stand corrected--thought it was a straight ADI trigger coil. I DO get a closed circuit reading on mine across two of the wires, however, but not across the third.

Jeff

Back