Logo

76 Evinrude 15hp idling and linkage

joho5

"I asked this same question on

"I asked this same question on the iboats forum and we havent come to a conclusion. Thought I would give it a go over here.

I have a 1976 15hp Evinrude motor. When I throttle it down, the roller on the carb looses contact with the cam when throttled down. The result of this is that it completely shuts the throttle valve and the motor dies.

This happens when I have the idle adjustment screw screwed as far as I can go. There is a little piece that connects to the idle adjustment that doesnt reach far enough to stop the roller on the carb in the correct position.

All my gears on the tiller arm and under the cowling are in the correct spot, I have pulled it apart and checked.

My theory is that there is a possible wront part somewhere, or the roller has lost a piece that goes around the edge that adds girth to where it would be able to reach the cam.

I hope that makes sense and I dont know what to do to get my idle adjustment to work as well as keep the motor from dying when throttling it all the way down.

thanks"

"is there a screw on the cam ,

"is there a screw on the cam ,possable to move it down a bit.also roller may be worn.
have you checked the parts diagram.
www.evinrude.com
check back and tell us what you see
also post some pic's if you are able"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
248004.jpg
"

"does the roller look worn? a

"does the roller look worn? also where it is sitting is the ideal place I would like it to stop, it goes on about half an inch past the timing mark when throttled down to the very edge of the cam. Its basically off the cam...there is no contact.

is there supposed to be a black ring or something on the outside of my roller? or does that look right?"

"dont worry,about throttle dow

"dont worry,about throttle down,...sync it,as u INCREASE throttle...and it looks fine to me.
lean out your idel mixture,..which,will increase,..idle spd."

"I dont have a manual yet for

"I dont have a manual yet for this motor...when you say "sync", could you briefly expand.

I have always heard the phrase "link and sync" would you mind briefly describing what that is.

sorry, and thanks

Matt"

"that,is the process of adj li

"that,is the process of adj linkages,and carb to ignition,synchronizations.---link & sync."

I seem to remember the externa

I seem to remember the external idle adjustment screw turns to left to increase the idle speed...there are a few variations on these motors so this may or may not be the case...

My problem exists with the idl

My problem exists with the idle adjustment set to as fast as it can go. The sync is allowing the cam to go to far to where the roller is basically off the edge.

I am going to check and see if there is some screws I can loosen to adjust the whole cam itself.

thanks

"ur linkage,best i can tell,is

"ur linkage,best i can tell,is ok,..try leaning it out to get it to idle faster---turn LS knob,to right about 1/2 turn at a time.."

Back