Logo

75 hp mariner won't rev up....

Laker taker2

First off thanks to anyone that reads this and attempts to offer advice on my first post.
This motor is a 1995 3 cyl, 75 hp 2 stroke. I installed new spark plugs, a new impeller kit and it's streaming water full blast, new fuel filter, new fuel line and primer bulb. The easy cheap obvious stuff.
I live in calgary ab where 23 ft wake board boats outnumber fishing boats 1000 to 1. A decent 2 stroke outboard mechanic doesn't exist here and 1 million people live here.... Closest one I trust is 900 km away. So if I take it in here they will start it in a tank or put the muffs on and tell me it runs fine. Here is your bill. Lakes are not close by.
I've had this motor for 7 yrs now. Zero issues of any type ever. Amsoil only. Sunday it started up fine we headed off 5 mins down the lake at full speed and started to troll. 45 mins later off to a new spot and the motor won't rev up. It loads up and stumbles at 2200rpm then slowly gets to about 2900 rpm and nothing more. If I let off it goes back to trolling speed just fine. Sound familiar to anyone? No alarms either. It does beep at start up so the alarm is working.
I took it out on the lake tonight post maintenance items replaced and it did the same thing at first. Stumbled upto 2900 rpm and stayed there. Then I slowly eased in to the throttle and it took off like normal. I ran up and down the lake for 15 mins at mid to full throttle. I turned it off waited a few mins. Started it and cranked it wide open, it got to full throttle again but stumbled 2 times briefly like it was starved for fuel but still went full throttle. Turned it off and then it did the 2900 rpm Max thing again. I decided a cold beer at home was better. If you were me without a decent mechanic nearby not going to rape me where would you start? It's an intermittent issue....... Hard I know .

Sounds like it was running on two cylinders. You need to run it again and check the plugs (preferably with an infrared temp gun) to see which ones are running.

Jeff

Back