Logo

73 merc 650 throttle issues

lillxirishx57

I picked up three motors over the last year all three are 72-73 650's one is thunderbolt. I am having a problem with the one I put together. I have had no throttle control in forward what so ever but full throttle in reverse. I pulled the controls a part and found that issue but I am still having a little issues with it. First off The power isn't there it acts like it has low compression though I checked it and it doesn't. I have to push the advance for the distributor to get max power in forward. With both controls forward its still only around half power and low RPM. These motors have fought me since the beginning and am seriously ready to give up with it. The 650 replaced a 35hp Evinrude on my older 50's 18 foot boat. The old shear pin style 35hp did manage to push this heavy boat to around 24mph with the 65 on there its doing 18-19mph at full throttle so I now there has to be an issue. I did check my cap and rotor as well as replaced the plugs I even went a little hotter plug. I do not have a book on this motor so any advice would be helpful. Now I did replace the bottom end on this motor and put an new impeller in it, There may be a possibility that the shift rod in the bottom end spun if it maters or not.

Is it running on all three cylinders? Try using Autolite 303 spark plugs so you can read the color they are running. Do a full throttle run followed by a rapid shut down without any idle period. Pull and read the plugs, then get back to us.

Jeff

Back