Logo

72 Stringer exhaust housing play

sloteke234

I posted this under a related topic which was already started but thought it best to start my own. First post here.

How much play should there be (up/down) in the exhaust housing with relation to the gear housing. I never noticed it before but I have about a 1/8" to 1/4" play, meaning I can grab hold of the lower unit and move it up and down on the gear housing. Any thoughts or is this normal? Thanks in advance.

.005" to .015" was the adjustment on the later shimmable units.... not sure a 72 is shimmable though
.250" is way too much on later units, the top cover seal will leak - upper will take on water

Last edited:
just checked in a 1966 manual I have - says .010" to .040" and it shows washers under the wormwheel of trucourse steering that adjust it - not as easy as the later shimmable top covers - not sure which setup a 72 has for clearance adjusting

Hmmm. Let me go dig up my manual. Just so are talking about the same thing, I am saying that I grab hold of the exhaust housing and lower gear case and move it up and down. The exhaust housing cover moves up and down with it while the upper gear housing remains still.

I just checked mine, and it has about 0.010 clearance.

It is a matter of shimming the top to hold the bottom up into place.

Too much movement in this area is not advisable.

When I reassembled mine, I just used the original shims, and everything was good.

Bruce.

Are the shims something that wear down? I purchased this boat about 3 months ago and the outdrive had been rebuilt a year ago. Actually have receipt of the work that was done so I know it is not BS. Seems odd.

I have never seen the shims wear down.
I think what happens a lot is people buy an upper or lower off eBay etc. and throw it on, not realizing there is shimming involved. Your upper has to be taking on water with that much play. The top cover of the exhaust housing has a thick oring that seals the upper and keeps water out.

I can vouch for that "O" Ring.

Mine was old and leaking a mess, water and the exhaust was making a mess of the surrounds, but since replaciung the "O" Ring, which is actually a shaped "O" Seal, all is good.

Bruce.

Back