Logo

70's Merc 50 HP Timing and Synchronization Question (Link & Sync)

travis0332

Hello!
I have the link & sync procedures ready to go for a 77 Merc 50 HP and all seems pretty straightforward except step 2...

Summary:
1. Set pickup timing 7-9 degrees BTDC which allows carbs open at right time
2. Set max spark advance 32 degrees BTDC
3. Return to idle (forward gear) adjust mixture screws on carbs for best idle (then richen slightly)
4. Final step, adjust idle speed with idle stop screw to achieve idle of 600-700 rpm in forward gear

So, would it be a huge mistake to skip max spark advance? I have seen videos of people setting this on open water and it seems pretty wild. What's the best/safest way to do this? Would you assume this is set correctly and skip it?
Timing.jpg

Timing on these motors rarely goes out of adjustment.---And with a scored piston I would not worry too much about timing.-----Just run it till it gets really tired !!

Last edited:
Take it for a ride and advance the throttle until the mark hits the pointer if it's on or slightly less then leave it, if not slow down and loosen the max. stop then run it again and move the stop. This is done with a timing lite and it can be done quickly.

Timing on these motors rarely goes out of adjustment.---And with a scored piston I would not worry too much about timing.-----Just run it till it gets really tired !!

Good to know. It should last awhile, I'll take good care of it :)
Def need to do pickup timing though as the actuator plate that hits the carb linkage was loose when I got it.

I do it the easy way: simply remove the screw in the top carb's throttle arm and you can go WOT (about 3,000 rpm) and adjust the timing with a light.

Jeff

Or empty the carburetors.----Move control lever to full throttle.----Crank motor over with a jumper wire to the solenoid.----Check timing.----All done in your driveway.

Back