Logo

70 hp 4 cylinder 4 stroke evinrude fuel injected 1998 model.

Ernbuild

New member
Hi ,first time user on this forum.
My 70hp evinrude is overheating, surging and backfiring. Plugs are good ,clean and no sign of water in the pots. Heats up quickly and sets off gauges warning light. Starts first time easily, and idles fine. Problems don't start till higher revs. Being fuel injected definitely not carby problems. Fuel filter is clean and fresh fuel. Any suggestions where to start looking. Cheers
 
Temperature related issue the ECU will light up the water temp light and the alarm will go off your engine light will should give you the code 14 or 15 if its temperature related for the surging and back firing i would check the IAC sensor to start off with 1st if it fails the motor will run rough
 
Thanks for your response. I Found the IAC and removed it and looked clean and not seized. According to tachometer it doesn't start missing till around 3500rpm. I realize I read that in neutral this is what is meant to happen??. Will the gauge flash codes if the batteries have been disconnected and hasn't been for a proper run in the water. I have run it in a cut off 44 gallon drum. Check for codes this morning but not showing any. Is there any specific sequences I should be following??.
Thanks in advance. Cheers
 
Thanks for your response. I Found the IAC and removed it and looked clean and not seized. According to tachometer it doesn't start missing till around 3500rpm. I realize I read that in neutral this is what is meant to happen??. Will the gauge flash codes if the batteries have been disconnected and hasn't been for a proper run in the water. I have run it in a cut off 44 gallon drum. Check for codes this morning but not showing any. Is there any specific sequences I should be following??.
Thanks in advance. Cheers
Pulled thermostat this afternoon, and seized solid. Looks like someone has leavened up a small edge each side to let some water through, but would be barely working and long water pipe off thermostat was dry inside and lots of corrosion powder. Ordered a new one and it should make a difference to the overheating. Cheers
 
To get the codes you will need the software iam not sure if you can use a dlc connector on this model and bypass the software to get the codes if you bridge the orange and yellow wire with the black on the communication port you should get the codes .
 
Back
Top