I just bought a 1983 Seahorse that's in remarkably good shape, visibly. I cleaned the carb out today, which it did need, but the motor has not been neglected at all. It's only been a kicker and not a main power motor until now (on my 14' Starcraft semi-v tinny).
I took it out today after cleaning the carb, and to my delight it pushed the boat quite nicely. However, at WOT it seemed to want to act up a bit, but it may have been venting (sucking some air). At WOT, I'd get random loud bursts from the motor and the boat would shudder a little as it did this, almost as if for a half second the motor was winding up RPM a lot higher, but not generating any thrust.
I was not on plane when this was happening (just not enough HP here to get me up on plane). I do have a jackplate that has the motor lifted up to where the anti-vent plate sits about an inch and a half too high (above the keel). The anti-vent plate never made it up to skim the surface of the water while I was riding, so I'm not convinced this was venting.
The jackplate is where it is because of the previous motor, I will move it if necessary.
Do you think it was likely venting, or could there be a mechanical issue?
Spark is good on both plugs, both plugs are new. Carb was freshly cleaned today (air chuck, and small wire through the main jet). Cranks, idles, and runs just fine except for this hesitation/loud engine burst at WOT.
I have only owned one other outboard (6hp Johnson) and I wouldn't know what it sounds/feels like when a motor is venting.
I took it out today after cleaning the carb, and to my delight it pushed the boat quite nicely. However, at WOT it seemed to want to act up a bit, but it may have been venting (sucking some air). At WOT, I'd get random loud bursts from the motor and the boat would shudder a little as it did this, almost as if for a half second the motor was winding up RPM a lot higher, but not generating any thrust.
I was not on plane when this was happening (just not enough HP here to get me up on plane). I do have a jackplate that has the motor lifted up to where the anti-vent plate sits about an inch and a half too high (above the keel). The anti-vent plate never made it up to skim the surface of the water while I was riding, so I'm not convinced this was venting.
The jackplate is where it is because of the previous motor, I will move it if necessary.
Do you think it was likely venting, or could there be a mechanical issue?
Spark is good on both plugs, both plugs are new. Carb was freshly cleaned today (air chuck, and small wire through the main jet). Cranks, idles, and runs just fine except for this hesitation/loud engine burst at WOT.
I have only owned one other outboard (6hp Johnson) and I wouldn't know what it sounds/feels like when a motor is venting.
Last edited:

