Logo

'69 johnson 25hp rebuild questions

First off.... is there anywhere online i can get torque specs? I have this motor completely tore down. The pistons looked good so im just going to re-ring it and hone the cylinders. can i reuse the head gasket? It looked like there was a new 1 just put in. and then the next thing had me thinking... when i split the case, there was no gasket. looked like there might have been a small bead of sealer, otherwise metal to metal. Normal??? also the upper part of the lower unit had no gasket and it was metal to metal. Normal??? In the diagram for this motor it does not show any gaskets for these 2 places. I want this motor as tight as possible. Then in the gear housing, is the rope seal 1 standard size for most outboards cuz there is no part # for this. Otherwise, i got new crank seals, rings, gaskets, impeller, and the impeller plate. when i put it back together, is it possible the timing will be thrown off? And do i adjust that with the points? I marked a few places around the motor so when I put it back together, it should be close to exactly how i took it apart. Any other helpful info on my rebuild would be great!!!! Thanks alot :cool:

Do not even think about using a gasket on the crankcase joint !-----It is a metal to metal joint and most of the sealer must squeeze out.-----This is critical for a proper " clampup " of the bearings.-----Do not re-use the head gasket !------Timing is controlled by the flywheel and the points.Use the timing marks on the flywheel and magplate to set them.---There is no gasket between the lower unit and exhaust housing. A repair manual is cheaper than doing the job over again.

OMC / BRP gel seal or loctite 518 is the stuff to use.---------No / few fillers in it and squeezes out properly.---------------connecting rod screws 180 inch-lbs-----cylinderhead 120 inch lbs-----crankcase to cylinder 144 inch lbs-------1/4" screws 80 inch lbs

OMC / BRP gel seal or loctite 518 is the stuff to use.---------No / few fillers in it and squeezes out properly.---------------connecting rod screws 180 inch-lbs-----cylinderhead 120 inch lbs-----crankcase to cylinder 144 inch lbs-------1/4" screws 80 inch lbs

Thanks a lot!!! I really appreciate it! Will let you know how everything turns out :)
P.s. would it be hard to install a tether kill switch? Need it for a fishing tourney coming up.

Back