Logo

68' Merc 500 starting issues

Damien77

Just finished a minor overhaul of my engine due to low power and fuel leaking from the two halves of the crankcase. I honed the cylinders and replaced the rings, did a minor rebuild of the carburetors. Got it running and runs great, when it sits for a couple hours it is hard to start(cranks a long time before firing. I also have fuel leaking from above the trim tab. Could this be the result of a improper float adjustment. After getting it running I tried to fine tune the carbs as far as the idle mixture adj. And as soon as I did the lower carb it died and had a very difficult time restarting. Any help is greatly appreciated, I am pulling my hair out. I am a 25 year truck mechanic so I kinda know what I am doing. I mean I know enough to make myself dangerous 😏

Sounds like you need to do a bit more carb work. Did you replace all the fuel hoses? With 'Evil-Nol' gas they then to deteriorate and allow small particles to get into the carbs.

Jeff

I replaced the main inlet line in the powerhead compartment and qualified the hoses that went from the pump to the carbs. I am about to remove the strainers and float assemblies now to see if I missed an adjustment.

So I removed the strainers and the float assemblies and after closer inspection found the upper inlet valve had some wear. I replaced both inlet valves,seats and seals. Got everything reassembled but didn't have time to run it. The primer bulb was nice and firm, like it was originally.

Feel free to chime in with any suggestions. I got it running but after it's sits for longer than 15 minutes it has to be choked to restart

Back