Logo

68' Merc 500 fuel splatter

Damien77

Not sure if it is normal but I have what appears to be raw fuel being splattered in the water out out the upper exh. holes. Is this normal or do I have an overfueling condition? Any input is greatly appreciated

Okay. Then look for a gas leak in the system. You may just be seeing what environmentalists hate about "dirty two strokes"--waste fuel getting leaked into the water.

Jeff

Ok, by no means am I an environmentalist! I just rebuilt the engine and my kit came with fuel pump gaskets and the diaphragm which I did replace. I have always been an Evinrude guy and this is my first Merc. My Evinrude never did this that's why I'm questioning it. And just making sure I don't score a cylinder by overfueling

Unlike 4 strokes, you can't hurt a cylinder by 'gas washing' it ('cause the gas has oil in it). One way to improve compression in a low cylinder is to deliberately run it for hours without allowing it to fire the plug. Loosens up stuck rings and smooths out the bore.

Jeff

That is very good information to know, thanks Jeff. Pretty sure it's firing on all four, I honed the cylinders before reassembling it. I will definitely store that bit of knowledge though. How do you go about intentionally canceling a cylinder out?

What I mean is to take a conventional plug and close the gap tight so it doesn't make enough spark to light off the mixture.

Simply leaving the plug wire off damages the ignition system.

Jeff

Don't know if this matters but I had a guy on the lake just now tell me "don't light a match" because apparently it smelled really bad of unburned gas behind me. I don't get it, seems to run just fine? Thoughts?

Back