Logo

'68 40hp Johnson Hydroelectric shifting strangely

While testing the gearbox on a 68 Johnson electric shift I found that when I put 12v to on wire it would shift into fwd gear, 12v to the other wire put her in reverse, no voltage to either would give me neutral-- and 12v to both wires would lock the gearbox. Something seems to be working, just not properly... as I understand it.
I thought power to one wire (can't remember the color) produced neutral, and then both gave you reverse, and then zero voltage defaulted you to fwd so you could get back to the dock after a system failure. Are the older engines different somehow, or do I have a faulty lower unit?
Thanks

The 68 model 40 HP has ELECTRIC shift with magnets and springs.------It is not HYDRO-ELECTRIC with an oil pump / solenoids and a clutch dog !!----Yours sounds like it is working as designed.-----Make sure you keep water out of that electric shift .----Use the correct oil and that motor will run another 50 years I think.

Last edited:
In agreement with racerone.

DO NOT ever apply 12v to both wires of the straight early "Electric Shift" models. That throws the lower unit into both forward & reverse gear at the same time....... BOOM! :(

Well that is good news! I'm very glad I asked, and thank you for the prompt responses. Fortunately while I was doing this testing I was rotating the shaft gently by hand so no harm done. Now I just need to extract a broken screw from the impeller housing and I'm in business (gotta love used engines).
Thanks again guys. I learned something today :)

Back