Logo

66 rude 18hp

bspeth

Regular Contributor
Seemed a little hot,Impeller is new,replaced both grommets on water tube after LU reseal. How long should I be able to hold my hand on the head? I ran it hard for 8.5 miles with a 20 min break which was enough time for it to cool to the touch. Then ran it the 8.5 miles back with no issues other than the heat. I was thinking of treating her to a new stat and HG. What do yall think?

Factory spec is less than 163 degrees at 3000 RPM max. That's hot to the touch. So is 150. In other words, it is hard to tell without a better temp sensing method. Like one of those infra red gun things.

Last edited:
It could never hurt to replace both the head gasket and thermostat. Get A jug of saltaway and run it at least 1/2 hour in a barrel. Monitor the head temp at high idle for a slow count to six. The exhaust cover on the side should stay cool?

Factory spec is less than 163 degrees at 3000 RPM max. That's hot to the touch. So is 150. In other words, it is hard to tell without a better temp sensing method. Like one of those infra red gun things.
Ok thanks for the responses. It ran like a raped ape. I will get an infared gun and go from there.

Back