Logo

60652 not starting

Figure9

I have a 1966 60hp Evinrude that won't start. the first issue is it seems as though I am not getting fuel to the cylinders. The bowl is full after pumping the primer bulb, removed and cleaned the main jets, removed and cleaned the idle needles, carb rebuild, checked the reed plates. Spark in open air tester is about 1/4", timing is set per the service manual, cylinder compression with my cheapo gauge is 1-60, 2-65, 3-65, 4-65. If I spray mix into the carb, I may get an occasional cough. Another thing that's concerning sometimes it's easy to turn the motor over, and sometimes it feels 'thick'. This motor came with a boat (1966 Thompson) and was told that the motor did not run. I'm thinking there may not be enough vacuum to pull the fuel through the reed plates? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Remove 4 spark plugs.----Put a few drops of fuel ( 10 ) into the sparkplug hole.-----Install plugs.-----Try and start it.------Does it " bark and roar " like a lion , yes or no ???

Added 10ish drops in each cyl, tried to start, initially no bite at all, few more start attempts then it went putt-a, putt-a, putt-a.
Tried the entire sequence again, and nothing-not even a bark.
(All the start attempts have been with the pull rope)

Are you sure the belt timing is correct on the crankshaft and the magneto ?------I would say you have weak spark.------Some may argue , but I would remove distributor and inspect coil, rotor and distributor cap carbon pin.----Compression is also low and I would remove bypass cover #1 to inspect piston / rings.-----Cost you a $4.00 gasket or make one.

The points open right before TDC, correct? I have replaced the rotor and check for a consistent spark from the button on the coil. I have noticed that the spark cyl's 1 and 3 is not as consistent as 2 and 4 at one time which is why I replaced the rotor.

Interesting bit of probably useless information: Cylinders 1&2 throw a spark of opposite polarity than 2&4. Can sometimes fool you when doing spark tests.

Finally get deeper into the motor. I think I may have more than 1 problem. I had always felt that the crank was hard to pull start, so I removed the heads, distributor, generator and the lower unit so that only the crank and piston are moving. It was easier, but still seemed stiff.
The cylinders looked to be ok with no scoring although no crosshatch. This motor hasn't run in 20+ years. Should I go deeper and pull the power head and remove/check the crank?

Have you removed the bypass covers to take a peek at the rings? Did you take a peek into the crankcase while you had the reeds off? See any rust?

Removed bypass covers and leaf plate assembly. Doesn't seem to be any rust and rings look to be ok. Cylinder 1 has a slight score that I can feel with my finger nail. I also removed the pull rope starter and turned the flywheel by hand, and can feel tightness and as I turn it slowly throughout the 360deg. and there is a constant 'tightness sound'. Almost sounds like a rubber seal that is too tight. There is one point in the rotation where it feel loose, and I can wiggle the flywheel 1-2 deg.

Removed bypass covers and leaf plate assembly. Doesn't seem to be any rust and rings look to be ok. Cylinder 1 has a slight score that I can feel with my finger nail. I also removed the pull rope starter and turned the flywheel by hand, and can feel tightness and as I turn it slowly throughout the 360deg. and there is a constant 'tightness sound'. Almost sounds like a rubber seal that is too tight. There is one point in the rotation where it feel loose, and I can wiggle the flywheel 1-2 deg.

Sometimes a dry waterpump impeller will make that squeal sound when you rotate the engine by hand.

Update:
I decided to tear the motor down all the way. All looked good until I removed piston 1 and 3 and noticed that there are signs of it overheating, black score marks on one side of the piston, and the very top of the cylinder #1 looked like it had got very hot.....so I'm guessing this won't be worth putting any additional money into. Craigslist parts motor.

Back