Logo

60 HP Johnson, still overheating after impeller, thermostat, and relief valve change. SOLVED!!!

wshurmatz

New member
On a previous post I asked for help on my engine problem, my 60 HP Johnson was overheating, I changed the impeller, thermostat,and pop off relief valve and still had the problem? I was advised on this forum that I should consider the head gasket.

I did a compression check and found 40 psi in cyl #1, and 120 psi in cyl #2!! Obviously the gasket was bad. I pulled the head ad replaced the gasket being careful to torque to the required 20 ft/lbs in the correct sequence.

new compression check showed 140 psi on both cylinders! I ran the motor on muffs in the driveway, head got to 160 degrees before the thermostat opened and then cooled to 145. Still need to run it in the water, but I think I have it fixed! Just wanted to let everyone know what the final solution was.

thanks to all who helped me diagnose and fix the real issue .
 
Back
Top