Logo

5hp 4 stroke Evinrude leaking oil

basstender10.6

Hello all!
I just purchased a 1999 evinrude 5hp 4 stroke with very low hours. After using it for a bit, I noticed that crank case oil was leaking down the side of the motor from where the engine "bay/compartment" meets the midsection. There was also oil inside the motor. The oil level when I got it was high on the dipstick but got lower as I lost oil. Also, after running for a while, I noteiced that the motor produced some blueish grey smoke. I think this may be from some oil getting on the air filter (breather) after a lot of oil has been thrown around the engine compartment and went inside the carb. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Thanks for the help in advance!

Drain oil refill to right level clean engine so u have a fresh start to find where oil is coming fromHow is engine stored possible on wrong side causing oil leak and oil in cyl. In carb and on engine???

Possibly too much oil in the crankcase ?--------------And yes you must store or lay them down the correct way or oil will leak all over the place. The manual will have the details.

Possibly too much oil in the crankcase ?--------------And yes you must store or lay them down the correct way or oil will leak all over the place. The manual will have the details.
It was stored on a motor cart, but when I purchased it I layed it down in my car to drive it home (5 minutes). That could be the problem, but it seems as if more is collecting after cleaning it out.

Back