Logo

57 Johnson Javelin 35 - Steering Pulley Anchor

Nooge

New member
Short version - Does OMC steering pulley anchor bracket 0305816 fit a 1957 Johnson Javelin 35?

Long version - From what I can find that bracket number was made some time after 1957, possibly early to mid 60s, but I'm not certain. By then, the casting on the steering bar of the pivot pin requires the bracket locking pin to pass through from front to back to engage the locking cam in the casting. On the 57 the pin has to pass through from back to front. When they changed the orientation, did they also change the dimensions? Or is the newer bracket backwards compatible with the older model outboards and just flipping it around is all that is required?

If it doesn't fit but anyone has any direct experience along the lines of "It's close and 2 minutes with a die grinder makes it go", that would be great info also.

Thanks all,
Nooge.
 
Should fit no problem.----Back in the day there were no tool needed to remove a motor from the boat.----Hefty mechanics lifted them off and took them into the shop.---Or use a 5/16" bolt through the hole to secure the bracket.-----Things have changed.
 
Thanks. I figured it's close. I know a lot of people replace the cam locking pin with a bolt. What I can't tell from pictures is do the saddles in the bracket fit around the steering bar casting and still have the locking pin holes line up? Yes I can modify if required, I just haven't been able to find any definite answer to if it fits off the shelf, or if there is a different bracket that is correct for the 57.
 
Back
Top