Logo

50hp bogging out in foward

Hunter decks

the engine reves up in nutral and reverse with power in the prop ,but when i put it in foward the engine will only go up to a fast idol and then past that it boggs out ,the farther you push the throtel the worse it gets PLEASE HELP

oh ya its a 1979 50hp mercury quick silver , it has 2 freshly rebuilt carbs a new engine side wiring harness ,It idols very nice. it seams like the spark advance is not working right if it even has one ....?

Yes it has spark advance.----Check the linkages that go near the bottom of the flywheel.------Possibly broken or fallen off.

Yes it has spark advance.----Check the linkages that go near the bottom of the flywheel.------Possibly broken or fallen off.
thanks for the reply ,I do not see any broken linkage , is there an adjustment on the spark advance or could it go bad. the engine reves good in reverse and idol why would it bog in forward?

Bogging is usually caused by a lack of fuel.----Try opening the low speed mixture needles 1/4 turn at a time and test run.-----Post compression numbers too.----Do you have spark on all 4 leads ?-----Has exhaust tuner been checked for blockage ?----Did this problem show up suddenly ?------Looking forward to your answer on each question.

Bogging is usually caused by a lack of fuel.----Try opening the low speed mixture needles 1/4 turn at a time and test run.-----Post compression numbers too.----Do you have spark on all 4 leads ?-----Has exhaust tuner been checked for blockage ?----Did this problem show up suddenly ?------Looking forward to your answer on each question.

ok so I just changed the spark plugs ,no help, the fuel mixture screws did not react much.
I'm not familiar with the exhaust tuner I never herd of it but it seems to be fine.
the problem did show up suddenly but heres how it went;
launch boat idol nice, head out no wake zone ,ok
open water bring up throtel to full ,seems fine set trim tab,nose came down on plane.
20 seconds later engine bogs out like its out of fuel.
pump ball hard, no kinks in hose. back to idol ok ,will not throttle up in fowaed
neutral reves high, reverse revs high. no forward.

Never heard of an exhaust tuner ?---It seems to be fine ?----How would you know then ?-----Motors will rev up in neutral on 2 of 4 cylinders !----Up to you to do the trouble shooting , sorry I can be of no further help then.

Back