Logo

5 HP Force (Mercury) Squirting Fuel Out of Brass Hole On Carb

code1p36

Regular Contributor
I have an early 90's Force (Mercury) that did not stay running more than a minute so I took recommendations from this forum. So I cleaned the carb again and went through the fuel pump. The fuel pump had new seals and the filter was clean. After cleaning the carb I put it all back together and when I pushed the air prime on the side of the motor and I noticed a small amount of fuel would squirt out the top right side of the carb out of a small brass lined hole. This did not do this before I cleaned the carb a second time. With the cowl off and the choke on it fired right up and ran well. I tuned the carb a bit more till it ran smooth several days ago. Well, it ran for about 5 minutes today and won't start back up. I will replace the plug but I am concerned about the fuel squirting out the top of the carb when I prime it. Is that normal? Doesn't seem safe at all to me. Why would it run for 5 minutes then die? Also the when I pull the rope it is seeming the little teeth in the rope assembly are not attracting back in so it grabs the rope back in. Anybody have any idea where I can get the pull start assembly? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
It is likely that the inlet needle is not sealing the fuel inlet. This could be due to a stuck carb float, a float that no longer actually floats, a worn needle, worn needle seat..... In the end you'll need to disassemble the carb and inspect the float/needle assembly.
 
I took apart the carb and the needle seat and carb float look good but I cleaned them again. I then tracked down where the fuel is squirting out of. From that brass hole it is going into the middle area of the crab into the column where the jet is located. It is about 1/2 way up that column and opens up (ends) where the jet is. The primer button is letting air in the top of the bowl area. My best guess is that when the primer button is pushed it forces air into the bowl area and that air forces fuel to prime up into the jets and middle of the carb. The sticker on the front of the motor says to push the primer button ONE time. This makes complete sense because you could push it several times and have a pretty good squirt come out. One good push squirts a small amount of fuel out. A slow easy push squirts out very very little if any. This all makes sense to me to barely push the button. Should I worry about this small amount of fuel causing a fire?

After assembling it fired first pull and ran great for about 15 minutes until I shut it down manually. So it runs great just worried about the fuel squirting out. Thanks!
 
Back
Top