Logo

5.7 efi mercruiser idles high when starting then dies.

Louis S

New member
I have a 5.7 efi fuel injected mercruiser that idles high when I start it then kills itself. I have checked the iac and it works properly. I recently replaced the shift interrupter but don't know if that has anything to do with it.
 
intake air temp sensor. Is the throttle body dirty? mass airflow sensor? Check the air filter for a mouse nest. Do you have a scan tool?
 
Last edited:
So im not saying this is symptoms for other things but a while baxk i was trying to diagnose a shifting issue and unplugged the shift interrupter and it did the identical thing its doing now. I was told to try replacing it and di but I had to do some wiring to make it work and thats when it started doing it. I didnt think I can wire it backwards so I swapped the two wires and it didn't change anything. I then ordered a shift interrupter that required no wiring and now if works fine. Thank you to everyone that helped I hope this can help someone else too.
 
Good to hear your voice and going

What I'm reading is the original interruptor switch was causing the problem with motor dying. The switch you have puts 12V to the distributor when running and removes it momentarily when shifting out of gear under load. The switch was not making connection and the reason the motor dies. Replacing the switch fixed the issue
 
Back
Top