Logo

496 cutting out on take off

nabholz

Ihave a 496ho in my 25 outlaw and when idleing out to the no wake it is missing a little I can tell by the way it is loping. then when I take off it quits and when I stop it also doesn't miss any more any Idea???

It is fuel injected. and new wire about two years ago. Also sometime it back fires and pops on take off. but when I plane out everything is good. Could it be a spark plug going bad?? Let me know Thanks I will check all my plug wires though!!!

Backfires oh my, glad you told me now and not 300 posts down the road HAH.

Missing and backfiring is usually timing. But boat motor problems are never usual.

Ok Got a fuel water sep. Dump it in a clear clean container and let sit. Your looking for water on the bottom of the fuel.

While your waiting pull the plugs, and read them, i will post a link.

Keep track of what plug goes into what hole understand ?

While all the plugs are out do a compression test.

Post back what you discover.

Spark Plugs

Don't run it anymore till we find out whats wrong, backfiring can and will cause major damage.

I'd also like to suggest installing new spark plugs in that style engine with it running like that.;)

The spark plugs seems to a pretty common problem with that style engine.;)

Just be sure you use the recommended AC spark plugs only, Nothing else just to be safe, Those engines can be pretty sensitive at times.

Also you may want to check fuel pressure if it continues.

And X2 on getting the MPI system scanned if it continues to run like that after the new spark plugs.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Is the motor running at proper operating temperature??? A defective or missing thermostat could cause it to run cold and backfire on acceleration.

I changed my plugs and put some heat in the fuel and ran it tonight. Ran like a new boat. So between the two it must have worked. Thanks for your help all!!! I will let you know if it happens again

Back